For those who love the feeling of Autumn, these muffins are a great way to enjoy the tastes and smells of flavourful fall harvests all year long. Fantastic for breakfast, or an afternoon snack with your favourite warm beverage!
(This recipe is for large-size Muffins – of course!)
1½ cups All-purpose Flour (or 1 cup All-Purpose, and ½ cup Whole Wheat)
1 tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp ground Cinnamon (we use McCormick’s Roasted Saigon)
1 tsp ground Nutmeg
½ tsp ground Allspice
¾ cup Pumpkin Seeds/Pepitas (preferably the larger varieties), plus some for sprinkling
½ cup chopped Pecans or Walnuts (optional), plus some for sprinkling
1¼ cups granulated White Sugar
½ cup Canola Oil (Sunflower Oil, or Olive Oil is also nice)
1 cup fresh cooked/mashed Pumpkin (or canned Pumpkin)
2 medium eggs
¼ cup Apple Juice
Course Sugar for sprinkling on top of the Muffins (Demerara, or Turbinado)
1. Preheat oven to 350⁰F and prepare muffin trays with liners, paper cups, or grease well.
2. In a large mixing bowl whisk together; Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Salt, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and Allspice. Add the Pumpkin Seeds, and Pecans. Stir-in gently to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, gently wisk together: Granulated Sugar, Canola Oil, Pumpkin, Eggs, and Apple Juice until well mixed.
4. Add Pumpkin mixture gently into the Flour mixture and carefully fold the ingredients together until just combined. Do not over mix.
5. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Lightly sprinkle the top of each muffin with Pumpkin Seeds, Pecans, and the Coarse Sugar.
6. Bake between 20-25 minutes, depending on the size of your muffins, and your oven. Always check to ensure they are baked through-out.
Try This! Break a muffin open while it is still warm and gently pat with butter. That first bite will literally melt in your mouth.
Source: This is an Agrestal original edited recipe, 2023
Pumpkin & Pumpkin Seeds!